Creation of Knowledge:
Universities can take several steps to better understand the role of their research in the economic development of their community:
- Monitor all metrics obtained from Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) surveys.
- Survey businesses in the local community to understand how they perceive benefits from the local research university.
- Build an understanding of how the benefits of knowledge creation flow to a local economy. To understand these channels, survey academic literature and recent reports by monitoring:
- Research published in journals
- Sponsored research
- Contract research
- Faculty consulting
- Student internships and full-time placements
- Patents, licenses, and start-ups
- Symposia sponsored by university research centers
- Executive education
- Certificate programs
- Establish the relative importance of these factors through primary survey data. Surveys may be conducted in conjunction with site visits and/or regular communication with local business leaders. At a minimum, this effort will help build a mutual understanding of the needs of regional businesses and the ability of research universities to fill these needs.